We’re Building a Digital Media Venture for the Latinx Community (Name TBD by Director). Come join our team!
Latinx Venture Director
Accelerate Change, a civic venture lab, is incubating a new Latinx digital organizing venture (name TBD by Director) that by 2020 aims to develop deep (daily or weekly) digital relationships with over 1 million Latinx individuals across the country and to achieve full financial self-sustainability. Our ultimate goal is to leverage this digital platform to advance policy change by building Latinx power through increased advocacy and voter engagement.
This new Latinx digital organizing venture will draw from the lessons of other high-growth digital organizing ventures that Accelerate Change has incubated including PushBlack, ParentsTogether, and Revolution English. These ventures have developed high-growth models that combine several key elements:
• A daily (or nearly daily) media service that provides high value content to subscribers. For example, PushBlack provides daily black history stories to over 600,000 subscribers; Revolution English provides daily English language learning lessons to over 240,000 immigrant subscribers. This daily media service is the crux of the relationship with subscribers and the driver of growth and financial sustainability for the ventures.
• Regular advocacy on issues that are important to their community; e.g. criminal justice reform campaigns by PushBlack; affordable child care campaigns by ParentsTogether.
• High-impact voter registration and get-out-the-vote campaigns that capitalize on the deep, trusted relationship built from daily engagement.
• Financial sustainability through ad revenue, sponsorships, and other monetization strategies.
The fundamental challenge the Venture Director will face is building a large-scale, profitable, digital media platform that attracts over a million Latinx subscribers. To achieve this goal, we are looking for an innovator deeply committed to rapid experimentation and data-driven decision making based on lean startup methodologies and other effective business development strategies.
To learn more about our theory of scale for civic organizations, read our Stanford Social Innovation Review article, The Secret of Scale.
For an example of the type of digitally-based service we intend to build for the Latinx population, search for “PushBlack” in the Facebook Messenger app.
We are looking for a mission-driven, numbers-oriented entrepreneur who will lead a team in developing, testing, and scaling a Latinx-focused, tech-based, revenue positive media service. The venture will begin with an initial “customer discovery” phase to determine possible content services, and then move quickly into building, testing, and iterating on the ideas that show the most promise.
The Venture Director will work with a team of two to three staff and a number of contractors, as well as receiving significant technology and business support from the Accelerate Change team. The Venture Director will manage the Latinx venture’s seed budget of $400,000 per year and work to grow that budget primary through earned revenue, but also through fundraising.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Committed to and understands the issues that the US-based Latinx community faces
• Numbers-oriented (must be proficient with spreadsheets)
• Highly entrepreneurial
• Understands and embraces rapid experimentation methodologies (e.g. Lean Startup)
• Adept in using a variety of technology tools
• Highly proficient at designing A/B tests and doing rigorous data analysis
• An effective and supportive manager
We prefer someone who:
• Has a work history in both the nonprofit and forprofit sectors
• Is familiar with Facebook ads, Messenger bots, and/or WordPress
• Has experience with digital media
Some travel required. Location is flexible.
Additional Background on Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change works to build large-scale, financially self-sustainable enterprises to advance social and environmental causes. We are a unique group people who love A/B tests, excel spreadsheets, and making lasting, positive social change. We think big, but get our hands dirty everyday as we build innovative new services to serve large groups of people.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $75,000 to $90,000 depending on relevant professional experience. A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage; parental leave; educational loan assistance; retirement plan; as well as paid holidays, vacation, and sick days.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Whitney Frazier at info “at” acceleratechange.org. Put: “Interest in the Latinx Venture Director position” in the subject line.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.