To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Opportunity: Administrative Assistant – Contract (Full Time, Remote)
Contract duration: 6-month contract, beginning in February 2020
Reports to: Brooke Weber, Operations Manager
Location: This is a remote role for an individual based anywhere in the US
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Revolution English, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 13 central staff and 26 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Opportunity
Accelerate Change is seeking a highly detail-oriented and resilient Administrative Assistant to support the growing Operations Team. In this role, the Administrative Assistant will work closely with the Operations Manager and Talent Manager to support the day-to-day administrative tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
Here’s what you could expect to do as Administrative Assistant for the Operations Team (key responsibilities)
- Expenses: Process staff reimbursements and organization expenses
- Invoices: Prepare and track payments for invoices
- Contractors: Prepare hiring documents for contractors and process contractor payments
- Development operations: Prepare funder acknowledgment letters, assist in grant research
- Asset management: Assist with tracking and managing staff equipment purchases
- CRM: Assist with the funder and recruiting CRM systems
- Communication: Communicate hiring and operational updates to staff and assist the Talent Manager with communicating with candidates
- Hiring and onboarding: Assist the Talent Manager with advertising job opportunities and supporting the staff onboarding process
- Gatherings: Support logistics for planning in-person team meetings
- Scheduling: Schedule external meetings for our CEO/President
We’ll also look for the Administrative Assistant to:
- TBD: Take on additional responsibilities and pitch in to help meet the evolving needs of our growing team. Given our lean experimentation approach and our work with partners at various stages of growth, flexibility and comfort with change are key components of our work.
What We’re Looking For
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- 2+ years experience with key responsibilities: We’re looking for someone who has at least 2 years of experience with administrative work and projects requiring careful attention to detail, and you take pride in the fact that your work is consistently error-free.
- Flexibility & efficiency: Exceptional time management, well-organized, detail-oriented, flexible, patient, a quick learner and an ability to multitask in a fast-paced and professional team environment. You’re adaptable and used to shifting your priorities based on the team’s needs.
- Obsessed with error-free work. You can’t stand making errors in your work. With complex processes and high stakes tasks, you’ll check your work twice if that’s what it takes to make sure all of your work product is error-free.
Compensation and Commitment
Compensation for this role is $18- $23 per hour, depending on experience. The time commitment is 40 hours per week for six months, with the potential to renew.
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.