To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Opportunity: Digital Content Creator and Experimenter (Full Time, Remote)
Organization: Accelerate Change
Reports to: Kim Hohman, Digital Social Entrepreneur
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position (from home or co-working space) with occasional travel once every 2-3 months
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Revolution English, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 13 central staff and 26 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Opportunity
Accelerate Change is seeking a data-driven social media creator to lead content creation and experimentation across all of our social platforms. As Digital Content Creator and Experimenter, you’ll use lean startup methodology to test and implement content strategies to help our ventures create scalable, transformative growth. The role would be an ideal fit for a seasoned writer or social manager with a passion for uncovering the most impactful social media content through a formalized process of testing, experimentation and data analysis. Here’s what you could expect to do as Digital Content Creator and Experimenter:
- Rapidly executing A/B tests to measure and improve performance, including running lean experiments focused on all aspects of digital content
- Creating and testing social media content (Facebook posts and ads, Instagram content, Snapchat stories, etc.) that reflects the priorities and goals of our ventures
- Researching and writing stories and news articles for promotion on our websites and social channels
- Analyzing social media metrics to inform future experimentation
- Participating in the development of scripts for short-form video content and podcasts
- Working with our partners to run content experiments with their audiences, share learnings, and workshop best practices derived from our experiments
- Working across teams to inform your own experimentation by understanding what’s working elsewhere
We’ll also look for the Digital Content Creator and Experimenter to:
- TBD: Take on additional responsibilities and pitch in to help meet the evolving needs of our growing team. Given our lean experimentation approach and our work with partners at various stages of growth, flexibility and comfort with change are key components of our work.
- Serve as a resource to our network of partners, including sharing best practices, training, convening, and troubleshooting. We use a co-staffing model with our partners where we’re collaborators working side-by-side to help where needed, not consultants prescribing solutions.
- Take an entrepreneurial approach to their work and learning new skills. In our fast-paced, unstructured environment, we love it when staff first try to figure things out on their own and then ask for help if they’re stuck.
- Seek out opportunities to deepen their skills on current/emerging platforms and with lean startup methodology. We take an individualized approach to growth where staff advocate for development opportunities that align with their interests and the team’s priorities.
What We’re Looking For
- A commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- 3+ years experience with key responsibilities. We’re looking for someone who has at least 3 years of experience writing for social media and/or creating social media content.
- Entrepreneurial. You’re a highly entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a fast-paced, unstructured digital environment. You’re open to new approaches and bring new perspectives and ideas to our experiment flow and processes.
We prefer someone who:
- Has experience A/B testing headlines, images, and other components of social media content (e.g. Facebook ad manager, CoSchedule, analysis of native metrics, etc.)
- Understands the importance of social media copy and can adapt to many different social voices
- Is comfortable working across many different projects simultaneously and willing to pivot from a plan, when necessary
- Has basic design skills (e.g. Do you know your way around Canva like a champ?)
- $45,000-$52,000 salary range, depending on experience
- Flexibility for work and life: Unlike a lot of places, we actually believe that people should only work 40 hours each week, except for occasional sprints that require more time in a week. We also trust everyone to make a schedule that works for them, as long as you’re able to join on all the necessary meetings. Want to work more one day and less the next? Fine by us. Work better in the middle of the night than during the afternoon? Go for it. Need to shift your hours to be able to pick up your kid from school? All good.
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents
- Need-based educational loan assistance after 3 months
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid floating holidays each year
- 5 fully paid sick days and 10 half-paid sick days each year
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match on the next 2%
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.