To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Opportunity: Digital Media Experimenter for Social Change (Full Time, Remote)
Organization: Accelerate Change
Reports to: David Ellmann, Venture Director
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position (from home or co-working space) with occasional travel once every 2-3 months
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Revolution English, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 13 central staff and 26 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Opportunity
We run lean digital media experiments that fuel progressive social change, and we’re looking for someone to join the team who can help us run those experiments: build, test, measure, learn, and repeat, from one area of digital media experimentation to another. We’re fighting for hugely impactful outcomes (like, you know, building authentic people power), but to reach those goals we need someone who can dive into the dirty, minute details. Here’s what we’d ask you to do on a day to day basis:
- Build and test Facebook Messenger bots in Chatfuel with ventures that send subscribers everything from petitions to pop culture articles to cat videos to voter registration asks
- Efficiently and accurately pull data from our experiments, analyze it, and propose next steps. You’d need to be on the lookout for areas where the data tells us we’re on to something big, where we screwed something up, or where we should adjust our strategy and retest.
- Build, test, and manage, hundreds of Facebook ads, looking for top performers, ads that have issues that need to be fixed (Facebook Ads glitches have made us all develop trust issues), and underperforming ads that should be turned off
- Be obsessive about testing your builds and team members’ builds when they ask for help on quality assurance checks (QA’ing), but also have an eye to which parts of a build need to be perfect and which parts can be a little rough around the edges.
- Design and run lean, efficient experiments on a variety of platforms, and be open to interrogation from team members on how to make your experiment design even better. These experiments will start out using mostly Chatfuel, Facebook Ads, Google Sheets, Facebook Analytics, and Stripe, but could expand to include platforms like Instagram, WordPress, SMS, Google Adsense, WhatsApp, SnapChat, TikTok, and more.
We’ll also look for the Digital Media Experimenter to:
- Serve as a resource to our network of partners, including sharing best practices, training, convening, and troubleshooting. We use a co-staffing model with our partners where we’re collaborators working side-by-side to help where needed, not consultants prescribing solutions.
- Take an entrepreneurial approach to your work and learning new skills. Rarely will you get explicit step by step instructions on how to do your work. In our fast-paced, unstructured environment, we love it when you see a problem and try to figure it out.
- Seek out opportunities to deepen your skills on current/emerging platforms and with lean startup methodology. We take an individualized approach to growth where staff advocate for development opportunities that align with their interests and the team’s priorities.
- Embrace change. We exist in a rapidly changing digital media landscape, so we’re used to having the rug pulled out from us by platforms that change their rules. When things change, other organizations freak out. We design new tests and adapt.
- Be led by constituents. We know that listening to users through customer discovery sessions is more important than coming up with ideas in a silo. We’re dedicated to being led by the constituencies our partners work with.
- TBD: Take on additional responsibilities and pitch in to help meet the evolving needs of our growing team. Given our lean experimentation approach and our work with partners at various stages of growth, flexibility and comfort with change are key components of our work.”
What We’re Looking For
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. We’re looking for someone who wants to work with a truly diverse set of progressive causes, including: building voter turnout of Black folks and Latinx folks, running criminal justice campaigns, increasing donations for environmental nonprofits, helping bombard senators with calls to increase women’s rights, designing English lessons for immigrants, organizing with labor unions, and more. You have a demonstrated commitment to social justice work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- 2+ years of experience building digital media content. You have at least 2 years of experience building complex digital content on Chatfuel, other chatbot platforms, WordPress, Facebook ads, or similar platforms.
- Strong spreadsheet and data analysis skills. You’re experienced in spreadsheets and comfortable using complex formulas to analyze large data sets. You’re well-versed in presenting data in an actionable way that’s conducive to quickly identifying when to iterate and how.
- Obsessed with error-free work. You can’t stand making errors in your work, especially your builds. With complex builds, you’ll QA your work twice if that’s what it takes to make sure builds are error-free
- $45,000-$52,000 salary range, depending on experience
- Flexibility for work and life: Unlike a lot of places, we actually believe that people should only work 40 hours each week, except for occasional sprints that require more time in a week. We also trust everyone to make a schedule that works for them, as long as you’re able to join on all the necessary meetings. Want to work more one day and less the next? Fine by us. Work better in the middle of the night than during the afternoon? Go for it. Need to shift your hours to be able to pick up your kid from school? All good.
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents
- Need-based educational loan assistance after 3 months
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid floating holidays each year
- 5 fully paid sick days and 10 half-paid sick days each year
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match
on the next 2%
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.