To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Opportunity: Tech Specialist (Freelance) – Part Time, Remote
Organization: Accelerate Change
Hours: Up to 32 hours per week
Location: This is a remote opportunity for an individual based anywhere in the US
About Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Revolution English, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 12 central staff and 38 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking a Tech Specialist (Freelance) to support technology for our network of partners.
Here’s what you could expect to do as a Tech Specialist (Freelance):
- Caching and load management strategy support
- Building new WordPress sites for partners as needed (rare)
Facebook App & Chatfuel Bot Management
- Maintaining 11+ Facebook applications, including applying/reapplying for permissions
- Working with partners to troubleshoot API connection issues between 11+ Messenger bots and our Node.js applications
- Working with partners and tech team to connect new Facebook Messenger bots to existing Node.js applications, setting up new Facebook applications (applying for permissions)
Other platforms support (including, but may not be limited to):
- Working with partners to troubleshoot API connections between the following platforms and our Node.js applications:
- Setting up and troubleshooting Zapier Webhook zaps for partners as needed
- Setting up new Textit and Twilio accounts for partners, setting up and troubleshooting Textit flows
- Setting up new Stripe accounts as needed
- Leading data migrations as needed
- Facebook Business Manager support, including Ads Manager, Analytics, bugs reporting
What We’re Looking For
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- 3-5 years experience providing technical support for an organization or network of organizations
- Must have experience with:
- Nice to have experience with:
- Chatfuel or other chatbot applications
- Facebook Ads Manager, Facebook Analytics
Compensation and Commitment
Compensation for this contract position is $50-$60 per hour, depending on experience.
The hours commitment is up to 32 hours per week, flexible, which may vary from week to week and will be dependent on the build and support requirements throughout our network of partners.
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form: https://bit.ly/3cr6XGO.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.