To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Position: News Writer (Freelance) – Part Time, Remote
Contract duration: This is a contract position through mid-November 2020
Location: This is a remote freelance opportunity for an individual based anywhere in the U.S.
Pulso is a Latinx-led social enterprise dedicated to raising up and keeping the pulse on nuestra gente. We build deep digital relationships with Latinx folks through their phones in order to transform civic engagement and build political power.
Pulso attracts and engages Latinx folks through our innovative Latinx history and news service, which is based on Facebook Messenger. With this daily relationship and by telling the stories that have shaped our community, Pulso connects U.S.-based Latinos/as/x with our history and encourages subscribers to take action on critical issues, register to vote, and to cast their votes on Election Day.
To see the digitally-based service we’re building, search for “Project Pulso” in the Facebook Messenger app. You can also learn more about our work at https://projectpulso.org.
Pulso is a project of Accelerate Change (AC), a nonprofit media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. See “The Secret of Scale” for more on AC’s model for scalable citizen organizing read and see “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” for AC’s approach to experimentation using Lean Startup methodologies and other business strategies, both from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
About the Position
Pulso is seeking part-time News Writers to work remotely in creating original news stories. As a News Writer, you will be responsible for pitching, researching, and writing original content in the form of news articles.
- Pitching, researching, writing, and editing 2-15 original news articles per week with a journalistic tone and style (with open-source images included in each article).
- Ensuring all submitted content is complete, thorough, and factually accurate.
- Participating in pre-arranged phone or video meetings each week (Monday through Friday, during normal business hours).
- Completing other writing projects as needed, such as revising existing content to reflect journalistic standards.
- Journalism experience in digital media environment. You’ve previously written news stories for other digital media companies and you know how to efficiently research, interview for, and write high-quality news stories using journalistic standards.
- Strong virtual communication. You have availability to communicate with our staff as needed via email and Slack and participate in pre-arranged phone or video meetings each week (Monday through Friday, during normal business hours).
- Initiative and follow-through. You take initiative pitching relevant stories for the Pulso audience, keep up with trends around the U.S. Latinx market, and adhere to deadlines and expectations when submitting written work.
This is a part-time, 2-month contract role with the potential to renew. The following rates apply:
- $.40/word: Pitching, researching, writing, and editing 5-15 original news articles per week with a journalistic tone and style (with open-source images included in each article)
- $30 per hour: Completing other writing projects
- $30 per hour: Participating in pre-arranged phone or video meetings each week
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form: https://bit.ly/31x4lCn
Pulso is incubated by Accelerate Change; Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities, or who are members of other marginalized communities.