To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Opportunity: Podcast Producer/Editor (Freelance) – Part Time, Remote
Organization: Accelerate Change
Reports to: Kim Hohman, Senior Digital Social Entrepreneur
Location: This is a remote freelance opportunity for an individual based anywhere in the US
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Revolution English, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 13 central staff and 26 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Freelance Opportunity
Accelerate Change is seeking a full-service Podcast Producer (freelance) to help us produce and publish podcasts across our network of ventures. We’re developing a full network of progressive podcasts across a diverse set of audiences and are looking for a versatile producer to be a key player in launching them, from the ground up.
Here’s what you could expect to do as Podcast Producer (key responsibilities):
- Production oversight—from pitching episode concepts to testing formats, you’ll be involved in every step of the production process
- Audio production—you’ll handle all aspects of audio production including remote recording support, editing and mixing
- Publication—you’ll upload final episodes to our hosting platform and work with our team to publish them to our websites
- Editorial support—you’re comfortable working with our writers and hosts to provide episode and series direction, craft thoughtful sponsor messaging, and create compelling marketing content
What We’re Looking For
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- 2+ years experience with key responsibilities: We’re looking for someone who has at least 2 years of experience with audio production in radio, podcasting or similar
- Excellent audio editing skills, with quick turnaround
- Experience using editorial judgment to contribute to script-writing and season arcs and lots of smart ideas
- Willingness to experiment with formats, lengths, and content framing to produce the most engaging content and flexibility to pivot from a plan, when necessary
We’d also love someone with:
- Experience with multiple podcast formats: interview, scripted, conversational/semi-scripted, etc.
- Podcast marketing experience
This is a 6-month, part-time freelance opportunity with the potential to extend. The compensation range is $40 – $50 per hour, depending on experience. The number of hours per week will vary, but we estimate roughly 10-20 hours per week.
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.