To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Position: Senior Digital Media Experimenter & Social Entrepreneur (Full Time, Remote)
Organization: Accelerate Change
Reports to: Peter Murray, CEO
Direct Reports: TBD
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position with occasional travel once every 2-3 months (post-COVID)
About Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Noticias Para Inmigrantes, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers 1 million immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 14 central staff and 33 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking a data-driven social entrepreneur to lead digital media experimentation in our lean startup-focused lab. As Senior Digital Media Experimenter & Social Entrepreneur, you’ll employ lean experimentation to test and implement digital strategies to help our ventures and partners create scalable, transformative growth. The role would be an ideal fit for a true entrepreneur with deep experience in some aspect of digital media and a high degree of self-motivation and comfort identifying and taking on unassigned tasks in startup-like environments.
Here’s what you could expect to do as Senior Digital Media Experimenter & Social Entrepreneur:
- Supporting our partners in their digital media growth and serving in a client management role with at least one partner
- Rapidly experimenting across all of our existing platforms (Facebook Messenger, Instagram, YouTube, SnapChat, TikTok, Chatfuel, email and SMS) using validated strategies for platform growth
- Supporting our content studio experimentation by lending your digital media expertise to our short- and long-form video and podcast experiments
- Contributing to organizational development by identifying and building relationships with new partners
- Identifying new areas and platforms for experimentation and designing lean experiments to validate/invalidate hypotheses
- Analyzing platform metrics to inform future experimentation
- Working with our partners to run content experiments with their audiences, share learnings, and workshop best practices derived from our experiments
- Working across teams to inform your own experimentation by understanding what’s working elsewhere
We’ll also look for the Senior Digital Media Experimenter & Social Entrepreneur to:
- Serve as a resource to our network of partners, including sharing best practices, training, convening, and troubleshooting. We use a co-staffing model with our partners where we’re collaborators working side-by-side to help where needed, not consultants prescribing solutions.
- Take an entrepreneurial approach to their work and learning new skills. In our fast-paced, unstructured lab environment, we love it when staff first try to figure things out on their own and then ask for help if they’re stuck. You’ll be leading your own experimentation and not asking for permission to drive your projects forward.
- Seek out opportunities to deepen their skills on current/emerging platforms and with lean startup methodology. We take an individualized approach to growth where staff advocate for development opportunities that align with their interests and the team’s priorities.
- TBD: Take on additional responsibilities and pitch in to help meet the evolving needs of our growing team. Given our lean experimentation approach and our work with partners at various stages of growth, flexibility and comfort with change are key components of our work.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for someone with (required):
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- 7-10 years experience with key responsibilities. We’re looking for someone to bring 7 -10 years of experience in some aspect of digital media—from strategy and planning to content creation and publishing, and anywhere in between or around. You have a deep understanding of the digital landscape and are comfortable translating what you know to new areas of digital media.
- Entrepreneurial. You’re a highly entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a fast-paced, unstructured digital environment. You’re open to new approaches, bring new perspectives and ideas to our experiment flows and processes, and are willing to pivot from a plan, when necessary.
- Leadership abilities. You have managed people or projects and are comfortable taking a leadership role in our lab, to advance experiments and validate/invalidate experimental hypotheses.
- Internal and external collaboration. You are comfortable working across teams within our network as well as developing external relationships with potential new partners to continue to build our network.
- $60,000 – $80,000 salary range, depending on experience
- Flexibility for work and life: Unlike a lot of places, we actually believe that people should only work 40 hours each week, except for occasional sprints that require more time in a week. We also trust everyone to make a schedule that works for them, as long as you’re able to join on all the necessary meetings. Want to work more one day and less the next? Fine by us. Work better in the middle of the night than during the afternoon? Go for it. Need to shift your hours to be able to pick up your kid from school? All good.
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents
- 15 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid floating holidays each year
- 7.5 fully paid sick days each year
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match on the next 2%
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form: https://bit.ly/3v1Zipa.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.