To view all job openings, please visit acceleratechange.org/job-openings.
Position: Vice President, Digital Media Innovation (Full Time, Remote)
Organization: Accelerate Change
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position (from home or co-working space) with occasional travel once every 2-3 months, post-COVID
About Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- Noticias Para Inmigrantes, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers 1 million immigrants to navigate life in America.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 12 media lab staff and 34 media venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking a senior leader with extensive digital media experience. Applicants must be high energy and enthusiastic, possess strong leadership skills, be extremely well-organized and detail-oriented, and have a clear commitment to advancing social justice.
Here’s what you could expect to do as Vice President, Digital Media Innovation (key responsibilities):
- Advising and supporting the lead entrepreneurs and team of incubated digital media ventures on the processes of ideation, market research, customer discovery, minimum viable product development and experimentation, data analysis, product iteration, and scaling up.
- Overseeing and developing 2-4 staff who run media experiments.
- Working with Executive Team to set the strategy and methodology for Accelerate Change.
- Engaging with partner organizations in the progressive digital media sector.
We’ll also look for the Vice President, Digital Media Innovation to:
- TBD: Take on additional responsibilities and pitch in to help meet the evolving needs of our growing team. Given our lean experimentation approach and our work with partners at various stages of growth, flexibility and comfort with change are key components of our work.
- Serve as a resource to our network of partners, including sharing best practices, training, convening, and troubleshooting. We use a co-staffing model with our partners where we’re collaborators working side-by-side to help where needed, not consultants prescribing solutions.
- Take an entrepreneurial approach to their work and learning new skills. In our fast-paced, unstructured environment, we love it when staff first try to figure things out on their own and then ask for help if they’re stuck.
What We’re Looking For
- Deep Digital Media and/or Digital Organizing Experience: Extensive experience running digital media ventures and/or digital organizing ventures.
- Lean Startup/Rapid Experiment Experience: Extensive experience implementing lean startup methods or other rapid experimentation methodologies (can be in the for-profit or nonprofit sectors; startup or large organization/company settings); deep experience developing products and services and marketing those services to a wide range of users.
- Business Model Development Experience: Has developed sustainable business models (earned revenue or small donor) in nonprofit or for-profit ventures; highly skilled with spreadsheets and revenue, growth and expense modeling
- Deep Experience with Communities of Color and Low-income Communities: Extensive life and work experience with the diverse communities Accelerate Change focuses on, particularly communities of color and low-income communities.
- Commitment to Social Justice: Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on creating progressive policy and political change, particularly with low-income communities and communities of color. Applicants should have demonstrated a commitment to social justice and social change through their work and volunteer experiences.
Applicants must also:
- Have experience building robust and sustainable institutions (for-profit or nonprofit)
- Be highly proficient with basic computer software, web research, and social media
- Display exceptional interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
- Be team-oriented and enjoy working collaboratively with team members working remotely around the US
Additionally, having one of these skills or experiences is a plus (but not required):
- Fluent in Spanish
- $90,000 – $120,000 salary range, depending on experience
- Flexibility for work and life: Unlike a lot of places, we actually believe that people should usually work 40 hours each week, except for occasional sprints that require more time in a week. We also trust everyone to make a schedule that works for them, as long as you’re able to join on all the necessary meetings. Want to work more one day and less the next? Fine by us. Work better in the middle of the night than during the afternoon? Go for it. Need to shift your hours to be able to pick up your kid from school? All good.
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents
- Need-based educational loan assistance after 3 months
- 15 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid floating holidays each year
- 7.5 fully paid sick days and 10 half-paid sick days each year
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match on the next 2%
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form: https://bit.ly/3dgJ7y0.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.